It is business as usual for the City Council’s waste and recycling collections. There have been no changes to waste and recycling collection timebands, even during the lockdown period. We continue to be available round the clock to collect your waste and recycling and maintain clean streets. Whatever waste related issue you may have, we can help.
Deep cleaning service and PPE waste disposal
Many businesses and organisations have been closed for months; so when normal operations resume, you will need to ensure your premises gets the attention it needs in order to be operable again. New measures will have to be put into place to limit the risk of infection within businesses, including a full disinfection of the property to avoid potential risk to yourself, your employees, your visitors and your customers. Our new disinfection service is a thorough and responsible solution for businesses thinking about returning to normal working. It includes professional and detailed disinfection of potentially contaminated surfaces, to eradicate the spread from confirmed or suspected cases of Covid-19. To avoid your staff, visitors and customers being at risk of exposure to the virus, request a quote today.
Please see here for information on the correct disposal of PPE waste.
Supporting Westminster businesses
A large number of Westminster businesses were closed due to the lockdown. We are aware of the challenges this has brought and can help by amending your collection arrangements. For example when demand for collections has decreased. We can also assist with any account queries you may have due to having been closed. Commercial Waste Services is committed to supporting the Westminster business community though excellent services that help the environment and provide businesses with value for money waste management. Businesses in the health care, food supply and community support sectors remained open during the lockdown and had extra waste to collect. We are flexible around service arrangements and can easily amend these when your waste volumes have increased.
Our low-cost and VAT-free service allows your business to make instant cashflow savings. Where other collectors charge £1.40 plus VAT per bag, ours are only £0.72 per bag. Some other collectors also insist on continuing to charge businesses even though they were closed due to the lockdown. Please speak to us today so we can help you immediately with saving money on your waste and recycling collections.
We have published our plans to provide new and additional space for cyclists and pedestrians in the heart of the capital to safely support the easing of the lockdown and get the economy moving again.
The hospitality industry is the lifeblood of Westminster’s economy. The road back to trading profitably will start when restrictions begin to ease from 4 July 2020. Our approach to ensuring businesses can begin to reopen safely will mean temporary changes to highways, licensing and amenities in the areas of the city that host the majority of our hospitality industry. Our Movement Strategy provides more information on what measure have been taken to support Westminster’s hospitality industry. There will no be major changes around waste and recycling collections in the streets that have Movement Strategy measures. It will be business as usual. We will continue to offer a full waste and recycling collection service from outside premises throughout this period. Where the City Council’s larger trucks cannot gain direct access, collections will be made via very small electric vehicles that can work safely in the closed-off streets. Up to date information on waste and recycling collection in your area will be available via the News section on our website.
To assist us, businesses are requested to
- Whenever possible the use of other collection timebands outside of 11:00-23:00 is encouraged. Most streets have two or three everyday.
- Request suppliers take items such as pallets, kegs, shrink wrap, empty boxes and crates back when they deliver supplies
- Where possible, change the times when cleaners or contractors operate in your building, avoiding the need for them to present waste in the 11:00-23:00 closure period.
- Switch from using single-use plastic waste and recycling bags to wheelie bin collections. Bins should be stored in a suitable in-door storage space, not on the street. These bins can be collected outside the 11:00-23:00 closure period.
- Avoid presenting waste and recycling bags where it can cause obstruction. Waste should not be thrown onto big mixed piles. Please keep different coloured waste bags (red, blue etc) separate from each other.
- Please only use the official Commercial Waste Services marked waste or recycling bags. Unmarked waste bags, such as ordinary black bags, will be enforced against as fly tipping.
- Please ensure that your waste bags are not overfilled and are secured in a way that waste does not escape the bag or cause staining from liquids on the highway.
- Businesses and residents are encouraged reduce the need for waste and recycling collections in the first place. For advice on waste reduction please download these tips.
Many private waste collectors have significantly scaled back their operations meaning some businesses have encountered issues getting their waste collected. Please speak to us in case you have collection issues since we can help.
Reopening advice for businesses
For further information and support on reopening your business please visit these pages.