Restaurants, cafes, pubs and the wider hospitality industry have been among the hardest hit by lockdown. After weeks, and months of closed doors, the Prime Minister outlined his roadmap for recovery, stating that hospitality settings outdoors will be able to re-open in April.
While indoor hospitality is expected to reopen later in the year, Westminster City Council will see the return of temporary measures to enable al fresco hospitality from 12 April to 30 September 2021.
With restaurants and pubs being allowed to serve food and alcohol to customers sitting outdoors, it is more important than ever that you stay up to date on road closures and other changes which might affect you.
Download our ‘Al Fresco Dining Scheme’ leaflet, or continue reading to find out more.
Temporary timed road closures
Temporary timed road closures between 11:00 and 23:00 will be in place for streets with outdoor restaurant and bar seating.
During these times, delivery and waste collection vehicles are prohibited from entering these areas (see map of affected area). You should only present bagged waste on the street for collection if your commercial waste collector is able to collect within the specified collection time bands.
To accommodate the alfresco dining scheme, Westminster City Council Commercial Waste Services (CWS) has put in place a special service solution to ensure waste collections continue without disruption and your street is kept clean and safe. Simply get in touch to find out more.
What businesses can do to prepare
In order to ensure streets are not overrun with waste bags during the times they are closed for traffic please do the following:
- Use collection times outside of 11:00 and 23:00 when possible
- Avoid presenting waste in places where it can cause an obstruction to pedestrians
- Do not mix bags of recycling with bags of general waste – please keep different coloured bags separate from each other so the they are easily identifiable
- Tie bags securely so they do not overspill
- Reduce the amount of waste you produce – to find out how, read our helpful guide
- Ask your suppliers to take items such as pallets, kegs, crates etc back at the same time when they deliver your supplies
How Westminster Commercial Waste Services can help
To accommodate the alfresco dining scheme, Westminster City Council Commercial Waste Services (CWS) provides a ‘business-as-usual’ service solution to ensure waste collections continue without disruption and your street is kept clean and safe.
Our bespoke Janitor Service offers:
- A unique waste and recycling collection service for Westminster
- A dedicated Janitor Service collection from outside your business during all specified waste and recycling collection timebands
- A bespoke collection solution for your waste during times when regular logistics are not possible
- Collections that are made via a small electric vehicle that is permitted in pedestrianised areas
- No disruptions to your business operations and collection times
- No vehicle exhaust emissions
If you are an existing Commercial Waste Services (CWS) customer you will automatically benefit from this bespoke service and can continue to present your waste during your normal collection times. If you are not a CWS customer but would like to take advantage of this bespoke service for your business’ benefit then please speak to us today. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7641 6180.