Managing food waste during the festive season is easier than ever with Westminster City Council. Whether you are managing a culinary or hospitality business year-round, or you’re only looking to cater for festive events on your premises, the Christmas period usually leads to larger orders — and more waste.
This is especially true this year, with potential last-minute cancellations, due to the constantly changing COVID situation, leading to even more food waste. While it is crucial to plan ahead and do what you can to minimise rubbish, we also suggest ordering a free waste audit to help you get a better understanding of your waste collection needs.
Properly managing food orders and waste benefits your business because:
- It boosts your bottom line. Making sure that you only order what you need means that you’re not wasting money on unnecessary food.
- It impresses your customers. Ordering collections from providers who recycle and reuse food shows your customers that you’re being sustainable.
- It will align with the law. By 2023, all businesses will be under legal obligation to properly separate their food waste. If you’re not already doing this, getting started now will help your business smoothly transition.
Here are some quick tips for managing food waste:
- Manage your orders and portions. Prevent over-ordering by performing regular inventory checks and planning your food offerings in advance. Check portions as well — if you notice plates coming back with food left over, it may be time to offer smaller meal sizes.
- Properly separate your food waste from other waste. Make sure to remove all packaging and separate any uneaten or spoiled food from the rest of your food waste. Don’t throw away food which is still usable since it will be welcomed by many charities and food banks in Westminster, for example Westminster Chapel and the North Paddington Food Bank.
- Store your food correctly to ensure lasting freshness. Additionally, look beyond the best before date. Many items can last much longer if properly stored, refrigerated or frozen.
Need more details about how to get started managing your food waste? Take a look at our guide.
Get started with food waste collections today
We are excited to help you get started with food waste collection.
The best place to start is via a free waste audit which will help you tapping into all the potential your waste has. If you already use our food waste service and have extra food waste then simply order extra collections. We’re available to collect any additional food waste, rubbish and recycling during the Christmas period. Simply call us at: 020 7641 6180, or click this link.